Friday, March 15, 2013

Going bananas!

If you have a Facebook account, by now you've likely seen the post about the yellow banana shaped banana slicer available on Amazon.com (only $2.48, if you need something to meet the $25 free shipping minimum!)  Despite my adoration for clever gadgets, and my Amazon habit, so far I have resisted this purchase (pat me on the back.)  I did, however, use a wedding gift to purchase a banana tree.  It is in almost constant use at our house, one of our favorite fruits and usually the first entry on my shopping list.  And bananas look so cheerful hanging there.

Did you know that the best way to begin peeling a banana is to break open the end opposite the stem?  This was a major revelation to me after years of mushing the top of my banana in an effort to peel it.  This method seems to remove the little strings, too. For all you scrabble fans, the strings are called phloems.  Pronounced FLOM, long "o."  I learned that bit of trivia today when I consulted Chiquita's website for fun facts.

Another fun fact:  according to Chiquita, the scientific name for banana is musa sapientum, which means fruit of the wise men.  Or woman, in my case.  ;)

Did you know you can use the inside of a banana peel to polish your shoes, silverware and your houseplants?  After which, of course, you can put the peels in your compost pile, an excellent addition of nutrients (if your dear husband remembers to put them in the compost bin.  If not, just fish them out of the garbage and do it yourself!  Yes, Carl, I know I am slightly obsessive. ♥ )

Did you know a bunch of bananas is called a hand?  One banana is a finger.  Did you know they grow up from the stem, rather than hang like they do on my banana tree?

The best thing about bananas, besides their clever wrapper, cheerful color and obvious health benefits, is the one that is almost always left sitting sadly on the counter after the rest have been eaten, one that turns a distasteful looking brown.  Yes, this is the best thing!  I used to feel an holy sense of obligation to eat these overly ripe bananas despite the rather mushy consistency.  BUT, a clever friend of mine showed me how she keeps a zipper bag in the freezer and collects the brown bananas to save for...

BANANA BREAD!  Yay!  This is now my "go-to" favorite, a great snack, best with generous amounts of butter and with a cup of tea in the evening.  It also makes a nice hostess gift.  My favorite recipe comes from Chiquita Banana's Recipe Book, a thin paper book published in 1950 which belonged to my Grandma.  I generally save up five or six bananas so I can double the recipe and freeze one loaf.  Before baking, thaw the bananas for a few hours - the inside slips right out of the peel (from the bottom!)


BANANA TEA BREAD
  • 1 3/4 cups sifted flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup shortening [I use Crisco]
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 bananas)
  • [Optional, but oh, so tasty!]  1 cup finely cut dried apricots.
Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt.  Beat shortening until creamy in mixing bowl.  Add sugar gradually and continue beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and beat well.  Add flour mixture alternately with bananas, a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth.  [If using apricots, fold into completed mixture.]  Turn into a well-greased bread pan (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3 inches) and bake in a moderate oven (350F.) about 1 hour 10 minutes or until bread is done.  Makes 1 loaf.  

In lieu of apricots, add 1 cup finely cut prunes, 1 cup seedless raisins or 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts.

The recipe will also make 3 mini loaves, which need only about 45 minutes bake time and which make lovely gifts.


The clean dishes looked pretty enough for a photo. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know you've stopped by! Leave your name and comments here.